Tuesday, February 16, 2016

WHERE WAS ME?


Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Myra Nur Lakdawala. I attend University of the Pacific in Stockton, California. I am majoring in English and Philosophy and minoring in Pre-Law. I run Cross Country and Track at the NCAA level. I have black hair and dark brown eyes. I like to believe I am taller than 5’4 – but realistically that dream was crushed as soon as I turned 20 years old because no matter how pre mature my growth rate has been, lets be real here, I have no more growth spurts left in me
Speaking about getting real, or what many “hip-hoppers” of this generation refer to as “trill” - Trill: an adjective used in hip-hop culture to describe someone who is considered to be well respected, coming from a combination of the words "true" and "real". My blog is all about being “trill”. I want to provide you – my reader – with a corrective lens of how to view my country: PAKISTAN.
I am a non-born but fully bread Pakistani. I can’t say that I was fully aware of the other side of my nationality – the Pakistani side – till I stepped into the world outside of little old Karachi city. No! I’m not proud of all the accusations and assumptions about where I come from, but how can I blame anyone who isn’t Pakistani for falling prey to the biased broadcasted news. I hate to sound shrewd but for the longest time I thought of Africa as a country, not a continent (even after being on a Safari). To make it worse, I thought all Africans were black skinned – clearly, history wasn’t my best subject. It is only after I expanded the scope of my reading material to a global scale that I was able to step away from many of my own biases and assumption. And that, is what I hope to do for my readers. I want to show my readers a side of Pakistan from the inside. Yes! Some may see me as a rare breed of green and white blood, but I am a Pakistani after all.


No comments:

Post a Comment